Teacher quality is the most important school-related factor in determining student achievement. The quality of education is as good as the quality of teachers. Continuing Teacher Professional Development is critical in promoting teacher professionalism by enabling teachers to develop the knowledge skills and expertise required to enhance teaching practice. TPD is therefore a career-long obligation for all practicing teachers.
Kenyatta University is a Service Provider Accredited by the Teachers Service Commission to implement the Teacher Professional Development Programme(TPD)
Complete and submit an online application form.
WHY TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT?
1. No matter how good pre-service or initial training of a teacher is, it does not prepare them to meet the emerging challenges in the ever-changing educational landscape.
2. TPD ensures that practicing teachers’ professional knowledge and skills are up to date with a view to delivering high-quality professional service that meets the expectations of the education.
3. TPD encourages and facilitates the development of communities of practice where teachers can share expertise and experiences with a view to achieving quality education in
Kenyatta University invites applications from registered teachers in Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Institutions in Kenya. Be part of a remarkable profession and its bright future and enrol for the First Module of the TPD programme to be implemented from December 2021.
WHY ENROL FOR THE TPD PROGRAMME AT KENYATTA UNIVERSITY?
1. Kenyatta University is a renowned and the leading University in the region and prides itself as a Centre of Excellence in pre-service teacher education and continuing teacher professional development.
2. The University has over 50 years’ experience in teacher education and a wealth of capability and expertise in providing holistic educational services.
3. Learn from the best. KU has a large pool of experienced professional educators with the requisite knowledge, skills, attitude and competence in diverse fields in teacher education.
4. The University has a vibrant and robust Directorate of Teaching Excellence that promotes teacher mentorship and continuing professional support. The university will therefore support schools in building a community of practice and life-long professional networks.
5. Kenyatta University provides a versatile and easy to navigate Learning Management System (LMS) that will support the online component of TPD.
MODE OF DELIVERY OF TPD
The TPD programme will be delivered through modules intended to equip teachers with professional knowledge, skills and attitudes to address Pedagogy and Content Knowledge using the Competency-Based Teacher Education Model. A Blended Learning approach will be used to deliver the content of the modules. This will entail Face To Face sessions and Online Learning.
1. Face to Face Sessions: The TPD face to face sessions will be conducted in various designated centres located at the sub counties to ensure they are easily accessible and convenient to teachers.
convenient to teachers.
2. Online Learning: The TPD programme will also be delivered online. All the participants will receive the initial training required for online learning.
Other modes of delivery will include:
3. Participation in a country network of teachers to create a community of practice among teachers.
4. Follow up observation visits to schools by university teacher educators to provide feedback and support.
5. Mentoring and peer observation (Lesson Study).
MODE OF APPLICATION
To apply for Module 1; Chapter 1 which begins on 28th December 2021, applicants are advised to complete and submit an online application form using this link
Kenyatta University TPD application form. Apply by clicking on: >>>>Submit an online application form.
MODE OF FEES PAYMENT
Applicants for the TPD Course will be required to pay Ksh 6,000 payable in Installments.
Applicants are expected to pay the fees using any of the following modes of payment:
Pay bill Number: 960509
Pay bill Name: KU TPD
Account Name : TSC Number
Cooperative Bank of Kenya
A/C No. 011-2906-246-1400
National Bank of Kenya
A/C No. 010-0305-915-0801
Equity Bank Limited
A/c No. 018-029-051-8859
A/C No. 045000023316
FOR ENQUIRIES CONTACT
TPD Office direct line - 0208703615
Kenyatta University, School of Education: 020 8703788 EXT: 3795