RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Refereed Journal Papers
- Kinuthia, H., Majale, C. & Letema, S. (2021). Influence of public policy planning on peri-urban land speculation in (Greater) Eastern Bypass in Nairobi Metropolitan. Land Use Policy, Volume 107, August 2021, 105515.
- Mwangi, P.W., Karanja, F.N., Kamau, P.K. & Letema, S. (2021). Contribution Index of Land Cover and Land Surface Temperature Changes in Upper Hill Nairobi, Kenya. ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Volume V-3-2021 XXIV ISPRS Congress: 141-149.
- Mwangi, P.W., Karanja, F.N., Kamau, P.K. & Letema, S. (2020). Impact of Urban Forms on 3D Built-Up Intensity Expansion Rate from Aerial Stereo-Imagery. ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Volume V-4-2020, 2020 XXIV ISPRS Congress: 203-208.
- Koech, N.C., Letema, S. & Koske, J.K. (2020). Impact of Rainfall Variability on Rural Tea Roads in Kericho, Kenya. East African Journal of Environment and Natural Resources, 3(1), 39-48.
- Maithya, J.K., Ming’ate, F.L.M. & Letema, S. (2020). A Review on Ecosystem Services and their Threats in the Conservation of Nyando Wetland, Kisumu County, Kenya. Tanzania Journal of Science 46(3): 711-722.
- Ming’ate, F.L.M., Letema, S. & Obiero, K. (2019). Designing Institutional Arrangements for Collaborative Governance of Forests in Kenya Using a Delphi Process. Journal of Scientific Research & Reports 25(4): 1-11.
- Njiru, C.W. and Letema, S. (2018). Energy Poverty and Its Implication on Standard of Living in Kirinyaga, Kenya. Journal of Energy Volume 2018, Article ID 3196567, 12 pages.
- Njiru, C.W. Letema, S. and Maingi, S.M. (2018). Socio-Economic Factors of Small Hydropower and Biogas Plants and their Implications for Rural Energy Poverty Alleviation in Kirinyaga, Kenya. Journal of Natural Resources and Development 2018; 08: 101-114.
- Kiama P.M., Letema S., and Thuo M.A. (2017). Sanitation provision in use in Karengata and Ongata Rongai areas and their compliance to standards. International Journal of Advancement in Engineering Technology, Management and Applied Science Vol No. 05 issue 01 P154-181.
- Mingate, FM., Letema, S., & Obiero, K. (2016). Designing a functional community forest association: a case of Mueleshi, Kakamega County, Kenya. Asian Journal of Applied Science Vol 04 Issue 05, October 2016.
- Afuye, F., Letema, S. & Munala G. (2016). Application of Motivation in Nigeria Construction Industry: Factor Analysis Approach. International Journal of Economics and Finance; Vol. 8, No. 5.
- Afuye, F., Letema, S. & Munala G. (2016). Impact of Motivation on Productivity of Craftsmen in Construction Firms in Lagos, Nigeria. International Journal of Economics and Finance; Vol. 8, No. 4.
- Letema, S., van Vliet, B. & J.B. van Lier (2014). Sanitation policy and spatial planning in urban East Africa: Diverging sanitation spaces and actor arrangements in Kampala and Kisumu. Cities 36 (2014) 1-9.
- Malekpour, S., Langeveld, J., Letema, S., Clemens, F. & J.B. van Lier (2013). Judgement under uncertainty; a probalistic evaluation framework for decision-making about sanitation systems in low-income countries. Journal of Environmental Management 118 (2013) 106-114.
- Letema S., van Vliet B. and J.B. van Lier (2012). Satellite Sanitary Systems in Kampala. Environmental Engineering Science, Vol 25 (5) 291-296.
- Gábor L. Szántó, S. Letema, J.T. Tukahirwa, S. Mgana, P.J.M. Oosterveer & J.C.L. van Buuren (2012). Analyzing sanitation characteristics in the urban slums of East Africa. Water Policy 14 (2012) 613–624.
- Letema, S. (2012). Assessing Sanitary Mixtures in East African Cities. Wageningen Academic Publishers, Wageningen, The Netherlands. ISBN: 978-90-8686-215-3.
- Letema S. and van Vliet B. (2014). Converging Scales of Urban Sanitation Infrastructure and Management. In Urban Waste and Sanitation Services for Sustainable Development: Harnessing Social and Technical Diversity in East Africa. van Vliet B. van Buuren J. and Mgana S. New York, Routledge: 129-141.
- Letema S., van Vliet B. and van Lier J.B. (2010). Reconsidering Urban Sewers and Treatment Works in East Africa as Interplay of Flows, Networks and Spaces. In Social Perspective on the Sanitation Challenge. van Vliet, G. Spaargaren & P. Oosteveer (ed). Dordrecht, Springer: 145-162.
- Mireri, C. & Letema, S. (2010). Review of Environmental Governance in Kenya: Analysis of Environmental Policy and Institutional Frameworks. In Handbook of Environmental Policy. Meijer, S. and A. der Ber (ed).
- Mireri C., Letema S. and Majele C. (2007). Water and Sanitation Services Delivery in Kenya. In Environment and Sustainable Development: A Guide for Tertiary Education in Kenya, Volume 2, School of Environmental Studies and Human Science, Kenyatta University, Nairobi.
- Letema, S. and P.K. Koskey (2004). The Status, Constraints and Environmental Health Implications of Service Provision and Management in Informal Settlements of Eldoret Municipality, Kenya. In Status of Environmental Health Education in the Eastern Africa Region: Opportunities, Challenges and the Way Forward. Joypet Services and Printers, Nairobi.
- Koskey, P.K. and Letema, S. (2004). Environmental Health Education in Urban Environmental Planning and Management: The Basis, Relevance and Reflected Practice. In Status of Environmental Health Education in the Eastern Africa Region: Opportunities, Challenges and the Way Forward. Joypet Services and Printers, Nairobi.
- Njiru C.W., Letema S.C., Maingi S.M., Gichohi P.M. (2014). Renewable energy policies and practices in Kenya and their contribution to appropriate technology adoption, A Conference Paper presented in the 6th International Conference on “Appropriate Technology for the 21st Century: Technological Innovation to empower Africa” hosted at Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya, November 25th-29th, 2014.
- Letema S. van Vliet B., van Buuren, J. and van Lier, J.B (2009). Small-Scale Satellite Systems as Alternative Sewerage Provisioning in Kampala City, Uganda. Decentralised Sanitation Conference, Kathmandu, Nepal, 11-13 November, 2009.
- Letema S. van Vliet B. and van Lier J.B. (2010). Reconsidering urban sewer and treatment facilities East Africa as Interplay of material flows, sanitary networks and space demands. Sanitation Challenge: New Sanitation Concepts and Models of Governance IWA Conference, Wageningen, May 19-21, 2008.
QUALITY TEACHING AND LEARNING
Curriculum Review Committees
- Part of the 2014 Committee that reviewed Curriculum of Department of Environmental Planning and Management
- August 2013 Appointment to Technical Committee for the Proposed School of Architecture and Spatial Planning in which we developed programmes for the school.
Participation in Workshop/Conference
- 2015 attended Planning Workshop on Planning under Devolved Governance in Kenya held in Kisumu Imperial Hotel. Event was organised by Kenya Institute of Planners.
- 29th April 2014. Attended National Conference on upscaling metropolitan development whose theme was ‘Kenya on the path to metropolisation’ at Kenya School of Monetary Studies, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Attended partly the 6th International Conference on “Appropriate Technology for the 21st Century: Technological Innovation to empower Africa” hosted at Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya, November 25th-29th, 2014.
- 18th to 19th September, 2014. Workshop on PRIVIDE for Impact Launch of Urban Waste and Sanitation Network at Impala Arusha, Tanzania.
Appointment to National/Regional Boards
- Appointment as Chairman, Kenya Forestry Research Institute in 2016
- Appointment as Chairman, National Irrigation Board in 2014
- Director, Sacco Society Regulatory Authority in 2018
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Kenya Institute of Planners (KIP): Corporate Member (MKIP) No. 193
- Environment Institute of Kenya: Member No. 1,000,891
- National Environment Management Authority Lead Expert No. 401