Dr. Muthoni Mainah
Area of Specialization:
- Gender and Development Studies- Gender and Criminology
- Gender related research, training and advocacy, Gender transformation and social change, facilitating communities to enhance change in social norms that sustain Gender based violence and gender mainstreaming.
Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Muthoni. M (2007) The locus of control orientation of battered women in homes.LAP Lambert Academic Publishing
- Muthoni. M (2018) Women’s responses to gender based violence: Across cultures of Kenya. Vol1. Familiar tears (pg 19) , LAP lambert academic publishing
- Odonkor E, Linnet Hamasi L; Muthoni M; Khau M; Mutiso M,(2016), GENDER IN WATER FINANCE”: Perspectives for a Paradigm Shift in Water Finance Management; vol 1, INNOVATIVE WATER FINANCE IN AFRICA, A Guide for Water Managers: The Nordic African institute
- Muthoni. M & Ndungo.C (2018), Gendered language of the underworld/ crime (pg143). From Asmara 2000 To Nairobi 2014: Trends in African Languages and Literatures, Kenyatta University press.
- Mwoma ,T., Kituko,J., Gitome,, Kahumbi, N., Ndegwa,P.,, Muthoni M.& Bagelman, J. (2021) Role of traditional birth attendants in providing pre and postnatal care to mothers in refugee camps: a case of Ifo Camp Dadaab Kenya. Volume 7 Issue 3 International Journal of Pregnancy & Child Birth: Med Crave
- Muthoni, M., Bagelman, J., Gitome, J., Ndegwa, P., Mwoma, T., Kituko, J. & Kahumbi, N. (2021). Placenta Disposal Rituals among Somali Refugees in Dadaab Camp. International Journal of Arts and Commerce, 10(6), 66-75.
- Dr Muthoni Mainah:Placenta Disposal Rituals among Somali Refugees in Dadaab Camp,UK online from Nairobi/kenya.4 th Feb 2021,GCRF
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah:Challenges facing boy child in the 21st century in Nairobi/kenya.13-15th August 2009.African Universities conference
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah:Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) in Kenyan prison. International conference on gender based violence (GBV):Nairobi /Kenya.Kenya 1st-3rd August 2012 International conference on gender based violence (GBV)
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah:Locus of Control Orientation of Battered Women in Shelter Homes Hague/Netherlands, 6th -9th November 2015.3rd world women shelter conference.
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah:Dissemination of Gender and SGBV Policy 2014. Kenyatta university,4th March 2014
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah:Women’s responses to gender based violence: Across cultures in Kenya: An ongoing research,Mombasa / Kenya ,August 2018,women impetus group
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah: women entrepreneurs in public transport,samburu / kenya ,September 3rd 2017 Lopha sacco.
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah:Writers workshop by African studies association of the United Kingdom Dar-es-salaam/ Tanzania ,(17th - 18th February 2015)ASAUK
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah :Life skill workshop. In- service seminar: Ministry of Education,Kenya Nairobi/Kenya( 11th- 12th march 2010)Kenya institute of education, Nairobi
- Dr. Muthoni Mainah :EASTERN AFRICA REGIONAL WORKSHOP ON HIV/AIDS TOOLKIT: Tertiary Institutions Responding to the Pandemic.Nairobi/Kenya (27th June – 1st July 2006)Association of African universities AAU
Consultancies & Community Service 1989-2021
- 2009: Monitoring,UNICEF Multi-Cluster Survey Indicator (MICS 4) in Mombasa formal and informal settlement
- In 2016 :Capacity training nurses, police officers and general public in Borabu, Nyamira County Hope Foundation for Women in Africa,Eliminating gender disparity to create strong community, and to enhance understanding and empathy for persons dealing with SGBV victims.
- 2019: facilitate the policy to KU staff and students Kenyatta University – Directorate of Gender and Women empowerment,Dissemination of Gender and SGBV Policy 2014 to the Kenyatta University staff and students
- July 2021:Drafting of SEP,Kenya Climate Smart Agriculture Project (KCSAP),Stakeholder Engagement Plan July 2021
- 2020/2021:Senior Gender Specialist for IGAD Drought Disaster Resilience and Sustainability Initiative (IDDRSI),Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to build resilience for food and nutrition security in the Horn of Africa (HOA)
- 2017:Capacity trained Embu, Meru and Kajiado county directors--Developed Budget Briefs for the same UN WOMEN, Gender Violence Recovery Center and UNiTE Gender Responsive Budget which includes gender based violence and developed gender responsive Budget Briefs for Embu, Meru and Kajiado Counties.
- December 2018:capacity training Makueni county directors Makueni county Social development workshop- gender mainstreaming, interpersonal relationship, branding of a leader, anger and stress management and quality service delivery
- 2015:facilitating research methods British institute of East Africa (BIEA). Advance research methods in social sciences
- Challenges facing boy child in the 21st century in Kenya. African Universities conference: Kenyatta University, Kenya 13-15th August 2009
- Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) in Kenyan prison. International conference on gender based violence (GBV): Kenyatta University, Kenya 1st-3rd August 2012 ,Theme: Creating Safe Space: a multidisciplinary approach to GBV.
- Gendered language of the underworld/ crime. International conference on African Language and literatures conference:Theme: From Asmara 2000 To Nairobi 2014: New Horizons and Trends in African Languages and Literatures. Kenyatta University,Kenya 6-8th August 2014
- Women’s responses to gender based violence: Across cultures in Kenya: An ongoing research