Dr. Regina Mwatha
Conferences, Seminars, Colloquium And Workshops
- Presentation of Academic and Professional Papers in Conferences
2017:Introspection and Reflections for the Bench: Insights from the Commission on Administrative JusticeA Presentation to the Annual Judges Colloquium themed; Sustaining Judicial Transformation in a Digital Environment and Electioneering period’ Sarova White Sands, Mombasa Kenya 5th. July
- 2017:The Fair Administrative Action Act and the Access to Information Act 2016- A paradigm shift on the delivery of public service? Paper presented at the colloquium themed: The Evolving Role of State Counsel in the Twenty First Century for state counsel office of the attorney General and department of justice at the Safari Park Hotel Nairobi 20th-21st. April
- 2014:Main characteristics of Women’s Movement; Case study Kenya, (African Women Leading Transformation Conference, Ahfad University for Women, Sudan 3- 4th March.
- 2010:The Impact of Development Cooperation in Acheiving the MDGs; the case of Kenya. Development Cooperation Forum Helsinki, Finland 3-4th June
- 2009:Gender empowerment and Global Democracy; Experiences from Kenya. The Global Democracy Conference Cairo, Egypt6-9th December
- 2007 :Domesticating EFA goals: Policy and decision making processes among education partners in Kenya. The 9th. UKFIET International Conference on Education and Development, Going for Growth? School, Community, Economy, Nation Oxford University, Oxford UK 11-13th. September
- 2006:Karega, R.G.Mwatha., Mugendi, D.N., Muna, M.M. and Mugwe, J. Gender Mainstreaming through Social capital in Participatory Scaling up of ISFM Technologies for Increased Food Security in Kenya. Paper Presented at the 23rd annual soil science society of East Africa (SSSEA) conference 20th-24th November 2006 Masaka, Uganda
- 2006:Karega, R. G.Mwatha., Mugendi, D.N., Muna, M.M. and Mugwe, J. Increasing Opportunities for Women’s to Access Soil Nutrient Management Technologies through Participatory Scaling -up Techniques in Central Highlands of Kenya. Poster Presented at the Conference on Women in Science for Food and Nutrition Security in Africa, Entebbe, Uganda, 3rd. – 7th. July 2006
- 2006:Karega, R.G. Mwatha., Mugendi, D.N., Muna, M.M. and Mugwe, J. Embracing gender differentials in Participatory Scaling-up of Soil Nutrient Management Technologies in Smallholder Farms of Central Highlands of Kenya. Paper presented at the conference on Women in Science for Food and Nutrition Security in Africa, Entebbe, Uganda, 3 – 7 July 2006
- 2005:Towards gender equality in African trade unions: addressing gender based discrimination in trade unions and the work place. The Congress of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions African Regional Organisation. Tunis, October 2005
- 2005:The Experiences and Challenges of Mainstreaming Gender in Kenya A Country Gender Aware Position Paper. Background paper presented to OSSREA August
- 2005 Enhancing The Participation of Women in The Trade Union Movement in Africa. Background Paper presented at the Regional Women’s Committee Workshop The Stanley, 23rd-25th October 2004.
- 2003:Policy Issues and socio-economic Aspects in Land Management and Capacity Building. Keynote Paper for the 21st. Annual Conference of the Soil Science Society in East Africa (SSEA) December 1-5th. Strengthening African Networks on Gender and Development For Policy Implementation. Paper Presented at the Conference African Knowledge Forum Economic Commission for Africa Addis Ababa November 2001
- 2001:Promoting Gender Equality within the Trade Unions: A paper Presented at the ILO Conference on Strengthening Labour relations in East Africa. October 16-19th. Reef Hotel Mombasa
- 2001:Socio-economic Implications of Mining of Titanium at the Kenyan Coast. Paper Presented at the Bamburi Beach Hotel May 27-30th
- 2001:Socio-Economics, Gender and Policy Issues for Improved Land Resource Management. A keynote Address for the 18th Conference of the Soil Science Society of East Africa on Sustainable Use of Land Resources to Alleviate Poverty in the New Millennium.
- 2000:Maternity Rights and Benefits as Workplace Issues. An overview of ILO’s Maternity Protection Convention 103 and 183. Background paper presented during the Pre-Congress Activity on Making ILO Maternity Protection Convention 183 a reality for Women Workers in a Globalised Economy.
- 2000:The Informal Sector in a Global Economy: The Kenyan Situation. Paper Prepared for the OSSREA’s Sixth Congress on Globalisation, Democracy and Development in Africa: Future Prospects. April 2000. Dar Esalaam, Tanzania
- 1999:Mainstreaming Gender in the Humanities and Social Sciences Programmes. Paper presented at the 35th. Anniversary conference of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Dar es salaam, Tanzania 29th.september –1st.october 1999
- 1997:The women’s Role in the Future of Trade Unions. Paper Presented in the International workshop; Integrating gender perspectives in development research held in Kenyatta University August 25-28 1997
- 1997:Striving for Gender Equity through Participatory Methodologies in Development Research. Paper Presented in the International workshop; Integrating gender perspectives in development research held in Kenyatta University August 25-28 1997.1997 Implementation of the Program of Action for Women in Development Co-operation. Report Prepared for the Equality Department of International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU-AFRO) and Presented in the ICFTU-AFRO 13th Congress in Dakar, Senegal from 11-17 May.
- 1997:Regina G. Mwatha Karega and Midred J. Lodiaga Gender Dimensions of Small Scale Enterprises in Kenya; a comparative analysis of Nairobi city, Kisumu and Kisii towns. Paper presented at the Regional Conference on Education and Income among Poor Urban Households in Kenya and Uganda.21-23rd April 1997Garden Hotel. Machakos
- 1990:(with Dr. David Nyamwaya) "The Law of Succession Act and the African Traditional Society". In The Law of Succession Act and the African Traditional Society.
Participation in Conferences
- 2016:11th International Ombudsman Institute (IOI) World Conference 2016 Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Bangkok, Thailand 14 – 19 November
- 2013:Repositioning the Ombudsman Challenges and Prospects for African Ombudsman Institutions. Kenya School of Monetary studies 19th – 21st September
- 2007:The ninth UKFIET International Conference on Education and Development: Going for Growth? School, Community, Economy, Nation Oxford University, UK 13th September
- Refereed Publications
Chapters in Books
- 2017 :Women’s activism in Africa (Eds Badri B and Tripp, A.M the Women’s Movement in Kenya (pg 184-204) Zed Books London.
- 2007:Gender Mainstreaming in a Masculine Structured Society; experiences from Kenya Regina G. Mwatha Karega Gender Mainstreaming in Africa; Country Experiences from Eastern and Southern Africa. (Eds) Regina G. M. Karega and Sheila Bunwaree OSSREA Addis Ababa.
- 2007:Domesticating EFA Goals: policy and decision making processes among education partners in Kenya by Fatuma Chege and Regina Karega In The Local Meanings of Educating All, and the Process of Adopting EFA Development Goals in Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia (Eds) Shoko Yamanda GRIPS Development ProgrrammeTokyo.
- 2006:Participatory Problem Diagnosis, Monitoring Evaluation and Scaling up; Regina G.M. Karega, Jemima Njuki et al in Soil Fertility; enhancing community extension eds D.Mugendi, M.Mucheru and J.Mugwe. Manila publishers, Nairobi.
- 2003:Socio-economic Factors for Improved Resource with an emphasis on Gender Policy; Sustainable use of land resources to alleviate poverty in the New Millenium. (Eds) J.G.Mureithi, P.N.Macharia, G. Gichuru, M.Mburu,DN.Mugendi,C.K.K.Gachene Colour Magic Nairobi.
- 1999:Practical Experiences of Information Technology in Africa. The case of African Virtual University, Kenyatta University In the Hand book of Information and Technology for Education Tamagawa University, Tokyo, Japan.
Books and Mimeographs
- 2012:Young Women Political Participation In Kenya; understanding the experiences of and challenges to young women’s political participation in Kenya. Mwatha Regina, Murunga, Godwin, and Mbugua, Grace IDRC
- 2011:Innovative Practices For Girls’ and Women’s Education in Sub-Saharan Africa. CIEFA Ouagadogou
2008 :Gender Mainstreaming in Africa; Country Experiences from Eastern and Southern Africa. (Eds) Regina G. Mwatha .Karega and Sheila Bunwaree. OSSREA Addis Ababa
- 2001:Statistical Overview of Girls in African Universities. FAWE Mimeo Nairobi.
- 2005- 2007 :Chege, F., and Karega,R.G.Mwatha., The Process of Adopting Education for All (EFA) Goals – A Comparative Study of Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia Funded by JICA and Maggie Opondo. International Trade and Gender in East Africa: analysing the Horticultural sector, the fishing and Textile industries. Funded by IDRC
- 2001:Statistical Overview of Girls in African Universities. Funded through FAWE
1996–1997:An overview of Kenyan Small and Micro-enterprises In Research Monitoring and Evaluation (REME) Background Research Funded by the Department for International Development (DFID)
Membership In To Professional Organisations
- Member of African Ombudsman Research Centre (AORC)
- Member of Kenya Institute of Management (KIM)
- Organising Secretary African Ombudsman Association (AOMA)
- Member of the Organisation of the Social Science and Research in Eastern and Southern Africa (OSSREA)
- Member of the University of Reading Society, Reading, Britain.