Dr. Nadir Hashim is a senior lecturer and former chairman, Department of Physics at Kenyatta University. He obtained his Ph.D. in June 2007 at Siegen University, Germany. The Ph.D. work involved measurement and Monte Carlo simulation cosmic ray muons using the ALEPH at CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research. The analysis was done at Siegen University, in Siegen and the Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics in Heidelberg, Germany.
The Ph.D. work was funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Max Planck Society. The findings were regularly presented during the annual meetings of the German Physical Society (DPG) in Germany and also in international conferences, for example the International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC) in 2005. Dr. Hashim participated in the calibration of the sampling calorimeter with liquid ionization chambers for the KASACADE-GRANDE experiment in Germany. The calibration of the calorimeter was conducted using particle beams at CERN. During his Ph.D. work, Dr. Hashim had the opportunity to attend a meeting with Physics Nobel Laureates in June/July 2004, Lindau, Germany. Currently, his main areas of research are on the application of nuclear techniques to environmental radiation monitoring; study of extensive air showers using Monte Carlo simulations and experimental observations, development of radio astronomy, study of galaxy interactions and their structures. Dr. Hashim has supervised postgraduate students and collaborates with international scientists in the fields of radiation physics, astronomy and astrophysics. He is a member of the following societies: Kenya Physical Society, East African Association of Radiation Protection, East African Astronomical Society. He is the national coordinator and assistant regional coordinator of the AFRA-NEST (African Network for Nuclear Education Science and Technology) of the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency). He has also chaired the National Technical Steering Committee of the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) at the National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) in Kenya.
- Measurement and simulation of cosmic radiation
- Application of nuclear techniques to environmental radiation monitoring
- Study of galaxies – interaction, star-formation, morphology
- Role of Education Networks in Enhancing Peaceful and Sustainable Uses of Nuclear Energy and Nuclear Technology in Africa in support of Africa’s Development Agenda. Presented at the Wilton Park Conference – Expanding peaceful uses of nuclear energy and nuclear technology in Africa, 24 th to 28 th February 2020 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Big Science for National and Regional Unity. Presented at the Kenyatta University Biennial Research and Innovation Conference, 23 – 25 October 2019, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Country Status Report. African Ministerial Forum Meeting of the Square Kilometer Array. 13 – 16 October, 2020, Pretoria, South Africa; 14 – 17 October 2018, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Development of Astronomy and Astrophysics in Kenya. Presented at the conference on fundamental physics with the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) in May 2017, Mauritius.
- The Momentum Spectrum and Charge Ratio of Cosmic Ray Muons Measured at a Depth of 320 mwe . Paper presented at the second Middle East and Africa Regional IAU Meeting, MEARIM II, 10 - 15 April 2011, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Research status reports on the measurement of the momentum spectrum and charge ratio of cosmic ray muons using ALEPH detector. Spring Meetings of the German Physical Society (DPG), Mainz-2004, Berlin-2005, Dortmund-2006, Heidelberg-2007.
- Momentum spectrum of cosmic muons at a depth of 320 mwe. 29th. Paper presented at the International Cosmic Ray Conference, 03. - 10. August 2005, Pune-India.
- Assessment of quality of trace element measurements by EDXRF technique: a statistical approach. Paper presented at the 9th International Symposium on Radiation Physics and Workshop on Radiation Based Analytical Techniques, 17-22 August 2003, iThemba LABS (formerly National Accelerator Centre), Faure, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Application of nuclear techniques to environmental physics. Poster presented at National Nuclear Technology Conference. 12Th to 15th May 2001, iThemba LABS (formerly National Accelerator Centre), Faure, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Chemometric approaches to assessing the quality of measurements in EDXRF spectrometry. Paper presented at The Millennium School on Nuclear and Particle Physics, 31st January to 03rd February 2000, iThemba LABS (formerly National Accelerator Centre), Faure, Cape Town, South Africa.
- IAEA - EURACHEM Workshop on “Efficient Methodology for the Evaluation of Uncertainty in Analytical Chemistry - Implementing the ISO Guide” 14 - 15 June 1999, Helsinki, Finland.
- Angeyo H.K., Patel J.P., Mustapha A.O., Achola S.O., Ogwari P., Ntihabose L., Mangala M.J., Makokha J.W., Odumo B.O., Wepukhulu G.W., Maina D.M., Kaniu I.M., Hashim N.O., Kebwaro J.M., Masinde T.S., Otwoma D., Mayaka G.N., Agora J.O., Kinyua R. and Atando V. Status and Prospects in Research Infrastructure Development in Nuclear Analytical Spectrometry and Radiometric Instrumentation Methodologies for Environmental Radiation And Associated Radioactivity Measurements and Modelling Studies in Kenya. Paper presented by H.K. Angeyo at the IAEA Technical Meeting on Establishing a Network of Laboratories in the Field of Nuclear Instrumentation for Environmental Monitoring and Related Applications, 27-30 Sept. 2010, Krakow, Poland.
- F.W. Omonya, N.O. Hashim, D. Otwoma, C. Nyambura, J. Kebwaro, M. Ndege, S. Bartilol (2020). Environmental Assessment of heavy metal pollutants in soils and water from Ortum, Kenya. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. Vol. 192. Issue 2. Springer International Publishing.
- C. Nyambura , N. O. Hashim, M. W. Chege, S. Tokonami and F. W. Omonya (2020) Cancer and non-cancer health risks from carcinogenic heavy metal exposures in underground water from Kilimambogo, Kenya. Groundwater for Sustainable Development. Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gsd.2019.100315
- F O Wanjala, N O Hashim, D Otwoma, C Nyambura, J Kebwaro, A Mauring, J Bartilol, M Chege, (2019). Human Exposure to Background Radiation in Ortum, Kenya. Radiation Protection Dosimetry, ncz264, https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncz264
- M. W. Chege, N. Hashim, C. Nyambura, A. Mustapha, M. Hosada, S.Tokonami. Radon and Thoron; Radioactive Gases Lurking in Earthen Houses in Rural Kenya. Front. Public Health, 08 May 2019. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2019.00113
- C. Nyambura, S. Tokonami, N.O. Hashim, M.W. Chege, T. Suzuki, H. Kudo, M. Hosoda. Annual effective dose assessment due to radon and thoron progenies in dwellings of Kilimambogo, Kenya. Radiation Protection Dosimetry. 29th April 2019. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncz090
- M. W. Chege, N. O. Hashim, A. S. Merenga, O. Meisenberg, J. Tschiersch. Estimation of Annual Effective Dose Due to Radon and Thoron Concentrations in Mud Dwellings of Mrima Hill, Kenya. Radiation Protection Dosimetry (2015) 1-4; doi: 10.1093/rpd/ncv231
M. Schmelling, N.O. Hashim, C. Grupen, S. Luitz, F. Maciuc, A. Mailov, A.-S. Müller, H.-G. Sander, S. Schmeling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, T. Ziegler, K. Zuber, The CosmoALEPH Collaboration. Spectrum and charge ratio of vertical cosmic ray muons up to momenta of 2.5 TeV/c. Astroparticle Physics 49 (2013) 1–5
- Chege, M. W., Hashim, N. O., Merenga, A. S. and Tschiersch, J. Lead contamination of traditional hand-dug wells in parts of Kwale County, Kenya. International Journal of Physical Sciences, 8(17), 835-839 (2013)
- Chege, M. W., Hashim, N. O. and Merenga, A. S. Physico-chemical analysis of groundwater in the Gazi-Mrima Hill region of Kwale County, Kenya. Asian Journal of Science and Technology, 4(5), 055-058 (2013)
- M. Schmelling, N.O. Hashim, C. Grupen, S. Luitz, F. Maciuc, A. Mailov, A.-S. Mueller, H.-G. Sander, S. Schmeling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, and K. Zuber (The CosmoALEPH Collaboration). Spectrum and Charge Ratio of Vertical Cosmic Ray Muons up to Momenta of 2.5 TeV/c. arXiV:1110.4325v1 [hep-ex] 19 Oct 2011.
- J.M. Kebwaro, I.V.S. Rathore, N.O. Hashim and A.O. Mustapha. Radiometric assessment of natural radioactivity levels around Mrima hill, Kenya. International Journal of the Physical Sciences, 6(13), 3105-3110. (2011)
- J.M. Kebwaro, N.O. Hashim and A.O. Mustapha. Construction of a generic reference material for gamma ray spectrometric analysis. Indonesian Journal of Physics. 22(4), 105-106. (2011)
- N.O. Hashim for the CosmoALEPH collaboration. The Momentum Spectrum and Charge Ratio of Cosmic Ray Muons Measured at a Depth of 320 mwe. AFRICAN SKIES / CIEUX AFRICAINS, No. 16, July 2011
- C. Grupen, N.O. Hashim, B. Jost, F. Maciuc, S. Luitz, A. Mailov, A.-S. Mueller, A.Putzer, H.-G. Sander, S. Schmeling, M. Schmelling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, Th. Ziegler, K. Zuber. Cosmic ray results from the CosmoALEPH experiment. Nuclear Physics B 175 - 176 (2008) 286 – 293.
- S. Plewnia, Th. Berghoefer, J. Bluemer, P. Buchholz, J. Engler, N.O. Hashim, J.R. Hoerandel, R. Lixandru, J. Milke, W. Walkowiak, J. Wochele. A sampling calorimeter with warm-liquid ionization chambers. Nuclear Instruments and Methods. A556 (2006) 422 – 432
- F. Maciuc, C. Grupen, A. Mailov, S. Luitz, A.-S. Mueller, N. O. Hashim, A. Putzer, B. Rensch, H. G. Sander, S. Schmeling, M. Schmelling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, Th. Ziegler, K. Zuber. Muon-Pair Production by Atmospheric Muons in CosmoALEPH. Physical Review Letters, 96 021801 (2006)
- N.O. Hashim, C. Grupen, S. Luitz, A. Mailov, F. Maciuc, A.-S. Mueller, A.Putzer, H.-G. Sander, S. Schmeling, M. Schmelling, R. Tcaciuc, H. Wachsmuth, Th. Ziegler, K. Zuber. Momentum spectrum of cosmic muons at a depth of 320 mwe. Proc. 29th International Cosmic Ray Conference, Pune-India, 6, 13 - 16. (2005)
- N.O. Hashim, I.V.S. Rathore, A.M. Kinyua, R.L. Stangl, A.O. Mustapha. Assessment of quality of trace element measurements by EDXRF technique: a statistical approach. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, Vol. 71 (2004), Nr. 3-4, p 791-792
- N.O. Hashim, I.V.S. Rathore, A.M. Kinyua, A.O. Mustapha. Natural and artificial radioactivity levels in sediments along the Kenyan coast. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, Vol. 71 (2004), Nr. 3-4, p 805-806
- A.O. Mustapha, J.P. Patel, I.V. S. Rathore, N.O. Hashim, D. Otwoma. An investigation of the repeatability of calibration factors in gamma-ray spectrometry of geological materials. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 60 (2004), Nr. 1, p 79-82
- N. O. Hashim, A.M. Kinyua, M.J. Mangala, I.V.S. Rathore. EDXRF analysis of lead and other toxic trace elements in soil samples along two major highways of Kenya. Radiation Physics Chemistry Vol. 51 (1998), Nr. 4-6, p 629-630
- N. O. Hashim, A.M. Kinyua, M.J. Mangala, I.V.S. Rathore. Analysis of soil for trace elements along two major highways of Kenya. East African Journal of Science, 1(1), 2-10 (1998).